Monday, November 5, 2012

Halve your heating bill

Well Well Well
Where has this girl been. Well I have been depressed, happy, upset, in love and broke LOL. Yeaaaay sounds like a great election emotion. So yes today I am going to talk about saving money heating your home. Or at least how I do it.

 I first recommend putting on clothes!!! May not sound like a genius idea but it works. I have poor circulation while my son is usually hot because he is constantly moving with his fun ADHD. So what we both have is thermal socks. Then the next thing to wear along with your sweats is a nice cuddly robe. I got ours at hanes.com. I want to give you a tip. When you subscribe you will get a catalogue in the mail and also emails. THE PRICE IS DIFFERENT ON BOTH. I found out that its cheaper to order online then thru the catalogue. My son thought I was a weirdo getting excited about saving money. But as I remind him. More money to eat with.  I got a XL size (I am a medium but I wanted to be like a blanket size robe) cheetah print and I got him a mens XL grey robe so it will be big and cozy on him. Ours cost about $16.99 each and the fabric is microfleece. I like it because it is superwarm, doesnt pill, and ultra soft.  I have bought ghetto snuggies and people dont bother. There is no insulation. I used the snuggies to make window drafters LOL.

So the next suggestion is to get a programmable thermostat to be low during the hours you are not there (work, shopping school) and then warm up the house during dinner and then it goes down a lil when sleeping. I keep mines around 68 but my apt is always maintaining 73. I am blessed. Well blessed until I move. I also put a sign designating that only I can operate the machine. There you know it wont be messed with.

 Other tips are to cover window drafts with heavy cloths or cloth filled bags with beans or pebbles to keep the breeze from coming in. Also go to the Walmart to get window cling. I would say go to Target but Walmart has a big variety. Especially for patio door size windows.

What I also do is drink lots of tea. I have a great percolator (I was raised overseas so its a part of life). I got mine from livingsocial.com for $20. I think originally it was $60. I bought it because it is cordless and heats water in 2 minutes and then I dont have to worry about the boy using the stove.

Ok so this one people need to take advantage. So at dinner you made rolls  or broiling steak yada yada yada. When you are done you turn off the oven. Why not crack the oven and warm up the place. DISCLAIMER Dont be that one who leaves the oven on and dies. Make sure and cook your food, turn it off and crack it open after to warm up a little.

Wear a hat. Yea put on something on your noggin. Something cute LOL. Alot of heat escapes the scalp and that my friends means you  retain it.

Ok the last cheapie way to get warm is to put your clothes for 5 minutes in the dryer and bust that baby on!!!  I did that at my dads house before we chopped wood. Oh yea wilderness woman here. LOL

Last winter warmness is.... go to the mall. Its warm there too LOL Walking and doing window shopping saves money and the building is nice and warm until you get home. The less hours at home the more you save too.








No comments:

Post a Comment